Thursday, March 11, 2010

Getting Awful Songs Stuck on Repeat Mode in Your Head


I tend to wake up with songs in my head. There’s not a lot of rhyme or reason why, either. Most of the time I haven’t heard the song in ages. The worst is when I only know a line or two of lyrics, and so it’s really just a phrase that burrows a groove in my brain, ensuring that it will reappear as an unwelcome visitor in days to come. I don’t even know why I know some of these songs. I worry that they’re replacing knowledge I really do need, writing over long ago formed little tracks made by things like the quadratic equation or how to watch the meter outside your house and figure out how much electricity you’re consuming.
Some recent offenders:
The Subway Jingle (five dollar foot looong…)
I’m the luck, luck, luckiest girl in the whole U S A
Woke up this morning feelin’ so polite (Afternoon Delight; damn Anchorman to hell for introducing teenagers to this song!)
Rock the Boat
Weezer’s If You’re Wondering If I Want You To, I Want You To
Taylor Swift’s Our Song
Harper Valley PTA by little Miss Jeannie C. Reilly (but I always envision Barbara Eden in my head from the short lived tv series)

No comments:

Post a Comment