Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Realizing You're Getting Increasingly Immature



The Inbetweeners on BBC America
Somehow, my sense of humor seems to have found its comfort zone in roughly the same neighborhood of that of a twelve year old boy. I don’t recall this always being the case, but suddenly I find myself laughing when someone says “duty,” or making countless “that’s what she said” jokes. I could attribute this to the fact I work around teenagers. Perhaps it’s the fact I’m supposed to constantly be in the role of the in control grown-up and it’s just too burdensome.

The nation seems to have fallen into this zone along with me. Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, any film with Michael Cera at its center – these all point to the same type of adolescent amusement at human drives or abandonment of adult appropriate pastimes that aging Gen X seems to love. There’s something very freeing about wasting time on the ridiculous, trying to recapture a bit of youth before it slips away altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment